Monday, April 29, 2013

Just Let the Words Fall Out

So, the past week, though so enlightening, hasn't been easy. Silent retreat was exhausting, and we returned to find out that one of our roommates has decided to leave JVC. It was a really hard decision for her, but ultimately the right one, and I'm nothing but proud of her for making it.

It was obviously very difficult for our community to see her go, but we are trying to keep on keeping on. Some of us spent the weekend in San Antonio for Fiesta, a huge festival. It was a blast- but very damp. It POURED rain... we took cover under a bridge on the riverwalk, and despite the inclement weather and the parade ultimately being canceled, being with the San Antonio and Austin JVs made it worth it.

Our house dynamic is tricky now that we're down one, and we aren't really processing it well, but we're continuing to do our work. That's why we're here, right? Today is the feast of St. Catherine of Siena, who many know I refer to as "my girl." She was a Dominican sister (awesome in its own right), and was named Doctor of the Church, the first woman to receive this honor. She did a lot of work to restore the Church during the schism and is credited with bringing Pope Gregory back to Rome from Avignon. She was a theologian and philosopher, and was awesome. She lived the Dominican ideal of finding the real truth, and she's my favorite saint (and patron saint from my Confirmation!).

I've been thinking a lot about her in the past few days. She's reminding me to be brave and keep trying to heal my community and give my all to my kids. This new Sara Barielles song came out last week... perfectly timed. I think St. Catherine would like it, and I'd say it's my new theme song, in case you were worried.


No comments:

Post a Comment